cutest blog on the block

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Winter Steak

This slow cooked steak is great for winter because it is cooked in the oven. Be sure to buy the cheapest steak for this and save the good stuff for grilling in the spring.

Heather's Winter Steak
2-4 large thick steaks
1/4 cup olive oil
2/3 cup red wine vinegar
2 tsp minced garlic
Lawry's season salt
black pepper
gallon sized Ziploc Bag
Generously rub the steaks with the Lawry's salt and black pepper. Place steaks into a gallon sized Ziploc bag and add the olive oil, vinegar and garlic. Seal the bag and place in the fridge overnight or for at least six hours. Longer is better! Take the steak out of the marinade and place it in a baking pan, cover with foil and bake at 250 for 2 1/2 to 3 hrs.
When I make this meal, I buy the cheapest thick steak I can find and buy two large packages. Mix them up in two seperate bags. The first bag goes into the fridge for dinner the next night. The second bag I place inside another ziploc bag and then into the freezer for the next time I am craving steak.

4 comments:

laura said...

hey heather... do you think i could stick these in the crock-pot on low while we're at church tomorrow? have you ever tried them in the crock-pot? i was going to marinade them tonight and rather than leave them in the oven (which makes me a little nervous) thought i might stick them in the c-p. what do you think?

Heather Sutherlin said...

Yes, that should work nicely. Cook at least 6 hours. The longer the better in my opinion, the meat will eventually fall apart and the flavor gets deeper. I think when I came up with this one my plan was to do exactly that, but I had too much steak and it didn't fit, so I had to use the oven. Let me know how it turns out!

laura said...

okay, so i tried my hand at this one today for lunch and it was a huge hit! i did end up just baking them since i was home, but may try it with a bigger cut of meat, like a roast, in the crock-pot. hey, if it's in the crock-pot do you think that i need to put some juices in the bottom, or part of the marinade? wasn't sure how that would work. thanks again! you keep 'em coming! we're loving it! i think i'm going to try the new chicken recipe later this week. i wish i was next door where we could just trot across the yard with recipe cards, but i will be content with this and say a huge thank you for keeping me "connected" :)

Heather Sutherlin said...

Hey, Laura! I do think you would have to put something in the bottom. I would probably put about 1/2 cup of marinade. One idea I have been playing with is putting my raw beef in the crockpot, pourin my marinade ingredients (premixed, I think) all over the top, covering it with the lid or foil and setting the entire pot into the fridge. Then, later pull it out and put it into the crockpot heater. Do you think that would work okay? Not sure.