cutest blog on the block

Monday, January 15, 2007

Favorite Chicken Dinners

These are staples in our home. I call this "grown-up" food at my table. The kids eat pasta while we enjoy a delicious chicken. Hope you enjoy.
Balsamic Chicken
Four chicken breasts
Greek seasoning (or try lemon pepper)
Balsamic Vinegar
Olive oil
Feta Cheese
Garlic
Butter
Chicken broth
Place the chicken in a baking dish and generously sprinkle Greek seasoning on top of each breast. Sprinkle with balsamic vinegar, cover with foil and place in the oven at 350. Cook covered for 30 minutes. Then uncover, sprinkle feta cheese over all and cook for 10 minutes.
In a saucepan, add 1 tsp butter to 1/2 tsp. minced garlic and saute. Then, add 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar, 1/4 cup olive oil, and 1/4 cup chicken broth. Sprinkle with greek seasoning, stir well, and cook uncovered on med. high heat until the sauce reduces to a very dark syrup. Add 1 Tbsp. butter and stir until melted. (This reduction takes at least 20 minutes, so I start it right after I put the meat in the oven.) Serve the chicken with the reduction sauce drizzled all over the top. I like to serve this with a creamy risotto or a greek salad. My husband likes me to make it with a pasta alfredo. Either way, you'll really enjoy this unique dish.
Parmesan Chicken
This is my aunt Darla's recipe. A family favorite.
4 chicken breasts
1 sleeve Ritz crackers (tho any will do)
4 Tbsp butter/margerine, melted
1/2 c grated parmesan
Crush the crackers into fine crumbs and mix in a bowl with the melted butter and parmesan. You can add Italian seasonings if you like. Coat the chicken with this mixture and place it in a baking dish, spoon whatever is left of the crumbs on top of the chicken. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake another 15 minutes or until crispy. Serve with your favorite pasta and marinara sauce. Your friends will think you are a closet Italian chef!

2 comments:

laura said...

hey heather... if i can't find feta cheese... got any recommendations. i have a mozarella that i use here, but not sure it would turn out the same.

Heather Sutherlin said...

I think I saw a recipe like this that used what they called goat cheese. You might be able to find that, I know you can in Mexico. I am not sure how you feel about eating local unpasteurized cheeses, though. If you could find one that seems good, it might be fun to serve this to guests and tell them about how you used a local cheese. Just a thought. If not, it tastes great without the cheese. Let me know how it turns out.