cutest blog on the block

Saturday, January 27, 2007

Tater Tot or Hash Brown Casseroles

What do you do when your husband brings home a 5 lb. bag of tater tots? You make casserole! Hope you like one of these two favorites!
Tater Tot Casserole
1 lb. bag of frozen tater tots
1 lb. hamburger meat
1/2 stick of butter/margarine, melted
2 c. shredded cheese or 1/2 box velveeta
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1/2 onion, diced
salt & pepper
Brown the hamburger with onion in a skillet, drain. Mix meat with soups and salt, pepper. Pour melted butter into a casserole dish, place a layer of tater tots followed by a layer of the meat mixture, and then a layer of cheese. Top with remaining tater tots and more cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Uncover and bake another 10-15 minutes. Yummy!
Hashbrown Casserole
I always make this the day after we have ham for dinner.
1 lb. bag of frozen hashbrowns (any style is fine)
1-2 cups ham chunks or canadian bacon
2 c. shredded cheese or velveeta
8 oz. sour cream
1 stick melted butter
1/2 onion, diced
salt & pepper
1 can cream of mushroom soup (optional)
Mix all the above ingredients together in a large bowl and then pour into a buttered casserole dish. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake another 10-15 minutes.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now those sound really really good! To the store I go!!!!

laura said...

hey heather... bake at what? somewhere around 325 or 350 you think? gonna try to cook the first one today with just diced potatoes, but wasn't sure of the temp. we'll see how it goes :)

Heather Sutherlin said...

I always cook it at 350, but if you use raw potatoes, be sure to cover with foil and let it cook just a little longer. A good hour I would say. I have done this before and the potatoes turned out a little crunchy since the tater tots are already precooked to some degree. HOpe that info helps. This is one of Graham's childhood favorites. Let me know how it turns out!

laura said...

Hey it turned out really good, I think that I may have added a little too much butter, but it was super good! This was our week to feed our guard on our street and he seemed to really like it too! The potatoes were raw, but I diced them really small and then added some milk to it all to help them cook. (and because that's how I have to make cream of mushroom, with a packet of seasoning and milk... so I just added a little extra to account for the potatoes). Thanks for supplying the Bull's with yet another great dinner :)

Marie said...

I found a tater tot recipe that we like- it's a little different than yours. I will have to try your- it sounds really good. Thanks! BTW- How are you all doing? I don't get updates from your mom anymore since we moved! :)

Heather Sutherlin said...

Hey, Marie! Please share your recipe with us! We are all about trying new things.

I didn't know you moved! Where are you now? We are loving St. Louis.